Canada 3/S Community  

Go Back   Canada 3/S Community > Main > 3000GT/Stealth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Trader Ratings Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-11, 07:18 AM   #1
GTOTTMike

Trader Rating: (0)

Crank Pulley

Soooo, apparently I missed the "this happens all the time with this car" threads about the crank pulley separating at the harmonic dampener (5 year owner), or I would have replaced that ASAP, but It happened.

I was merging onto deerfoot heading from Airdrie back to Calgary, and heard a thud, battery and coolant light came on, and after sitting on the side of the road swearing for a bit, I figured the A/C / Alternator belt must have snapped, and got it home as quick as I could before the battery pooched out.

Pulled it into a buddy's bay today with two new belts in hand, and looked at the Crank shaft pulley, only to notice the outer ring gone, and a rubber seal around the pulley.

Thank God the belt didn't snap, it actually just slid off, don't know where the outer ring went, probably somewhere on that on-ramp, and the power steering v-belt is still fine.

I've been doing some reading, and it seems fairly split between the OEM pulley with the dampener and the 3SX aluminum one, but I'd rather not take any chances, so I'm going OEM.

My two questions for you group of wonderful fellow's are:
1.) If none of the belts snapped and shredded apart and flew up into the timing belt (I think), do I have anything to worry about besides replacing the Pulley and belts? Things to check for?
2.) Where is the best place to get a new OEM pulley from?

Thanks Dudes!
GTOTTMike is offline   Reply With Quote