Canada 3/S Community  

Go Back   Canada 3/S Community > Regional > British Columbia
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Trader Ratings Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-11, 02:15 AM   #31
rez604

Trader Rating: (0)

had a good day today.

went to torque the front nut+bolt combo down on the manifold and it snapped. after lots of swearing just decided to pull the turbo out. swapped turbine housing&studs with my old one and put it back in. pia. front turbo is ready to go. again.

couldnt get the rear turbo on with the precat still there. grabbed me a rotary tool from tool store and went to town on the rear precat stay nut. after snapping 3 disks finally got it off, fuckin rights hurled that thing half way across the neighborhood. went to town on the rear turbo, put it back in same way i took it out. turbine housing first, oil return while chra in engine bay (pia) then chra into housing, then wastegate (pia), then back below for oil return which i lost the bolts for but lucky enough i had some spares from all my deletes.

put all my intake piping back on and did a pressure test. held 8psi. got a big leak somewhere around the tb but its not the gasket, will go at it again tomorrow. checked wastegate actuation@6psi and good to go [they are from my old turbos].

put in the mr throttle cable as well, looks nice. although a bitch to get at cause of its location on the firewall going to gas pedal.

so basically whats left to start the car up: pressure test to 20psi, precat nuts [still waiting on], oil, and coolant. fuck the downpipe for now.

tl;dr: waiting on precat nuts to start the car up, everything else back together

build thread
my visit to pitroadm
full vinyl wrapped 3000gt
the GTO bible - the JDM differences
rez604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 12:46 PM   #32
surreal

nice job dude
almost there...
Old 06-23-11, 08:36 PM   #33
rez604

so the leak is coming from behind the tb spring, im assuming its the butterfly valve shaft. actually im pretty sure it is. fuk. ill wait till i throw the clutch in to rebuild it at the same time. was able to hold some 11psi this time with my little compressor running out of steam to keep up.

filled oil back up, went to fill coolant and noticed i cant reach the front precat nuts -_- sob. pulled the rad back out and just waiting on those dam nuts. starting work tomorrow for another 4 days again, if the nuts come in im gonna start it up first day im off.

i also just realized i shouldve put rtv on the oil return line bolts before putting them into the pan, oh well. if it leaks ill pull them back off.
also noticed my transfer case was leaking from the breather tube again so filled it back up. only lost about 100cc

build thread
my visit to pitroadm
Old 06-24-11, 09:42 AM   #34
LondonStealth

I had the same leak on my throttle body... just have to replace the o-ring on the shaft. Not too hard to do!

And yes you need the rad out to get at the front pre-cat.... it sucks!
LondonStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 08:42 PM   #35
rez604

so i got impatient and went to the hardware store for the nuts.

good news,
we are in business

here is the start up after priming the turbos:

this is open precats. already i was starting to sense something is wrong. i can barely hear the turbos spooling when revving. with the 9bs slightest throttle tap you could hear them like a diesel open precats.
also you cant see it in the vid but both were smoking pretty heavy from leftover stuff getting burnt off.

and now the bad news...
i cant boost past waste gate. both turbos [rear way more] smoke after doing a pull just like it is burning oil off the housing when you first start it. looking at the exhaust fumes its too close to call it anything, however it does smoke [precipitation or oil not sure...] i dont know if its a placebo effect now or what seeing the puff of smoke and the turbo smoking. only thing i checked was pulling the rear charge pipe off and there was no oil. i have a feeling both turbos are blowing oil past the turbine seals into the exhaust
im pretty pissed. i know for sure i can hold atleast 11psi [from the pressure testing]. turning the controller up did nothing. car feels like a slouch too :\

im trying to decide what course of action i should take now...

build thread
my visit to pitroadm
Old 06-30-11, 05:09 PM   #36
LondonStealth

That's not good man! The one's I bought off 3si.org blew oil out the exhaust but not into the intake piping. There was alot of play though in them. They did however make decent boost (13 psi). And mine only blew smoke when you got into the throttle. At idle and under mild load they seemed fine.

See if you can find a local turbo guy and have him look at them for you. He will be able to tell you if they are good or bad fairly quickly.

Good Luck
LondonStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 07:16 PM   #37
surreal

ouch. so close...

werent these fresh turbos?

did they spin freely with your fingers?
no shaft play?
no oil in the comp housings?

tried disconnecting the wgs?

are they spitting blue smoke? smells like burning oil?
Old 07-01-11, 07:33 PM   #38
rez604

ok so rebuilt the throttle body today and went for another run. still 6psi...so i came back and pulled the lines off the wastegates. finally some boost, spike to 13psi and raising very fast and so i let off. now i think something is up with my boost controller =.=
at the same time, im so paranoid, im sure im seeing little blue smoke coming out when i rev the car and then release [on the release] i can smell it too but i dont know if its placebo...sigh...i need someone to follow me on a drive and let me know.
i think smoke coming out the engine bay is done, i think it was just the pearl silver coating on the turbine housings burning off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonStealth
That's not good man! The one's I bought off 3si.org blew oil out the exhaust but not into the intake piping. There was alot of play though in them. They did however make decent boost (13 psi). And mine only blew smoke when you got into the throttle. At idle and under mild load they seemed fine.

See if you can find a local turbo guy and have him look at them for you. He will be able to tell you if they are good or bad fairly quickly.

Good Luck
i REALLY want to avoid pulling them off again. if i have to the car is gonna sit for a couple weeks before i go at it again, im just tired of working on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal
ouch. so close...

werent these fresh turbos?

did they spin freely with your fingers?
no shaft play?
no oil in the comp housings?

tried disconnecting the wgs?

are they spitting blue smoke? smells like burning oil?
"fresh turbos" from timpl3kgt or w.e. his name is on 3si, turbos by turbo bob of midwest turbo

they did spin freely before putting them in, havent pulled intake pipes off to check since.

very minor shaft play, like 1mm? i was assuming oil pressure would take care of that [like there wasnt enough to rub the compressor on the housing or anything.]

there is no oil in the comp housing or charge pipes anymore and i checked as far as the ypipe. oh and im not burning any oil either from checking dipstick.

i disconnected the wastegates today, boost shot up to 13psi half throttle at around 3000rpm before i let off [short street].

the color and smell is what im stuck on. i know what burning oil looks and smells like but im still unsure of mine right now...

my conclusion so far is to get someone behind me while i drive for a second opinion

build thread
my visit to pitroadm
Old 07-02-11, 01:21 AM   #39
rez604

so i got 2 buddys to ride behind me while we went out [2 seperate occasions] and watch for smoke.

one said there was tiny bit of smoke when varying rpm rapidly like when downshifting to do a pull but nothing during or after the pull. i went up and downhill with him behind me varying rpms gears and load.

the other said he didnt notice anything out of the ordinary puffs here and there. ive got no cats and injecting meth.

both these guys know what they are talking about.

so at this point i think im gonna run it till i get concrete proof they are messed to pull them out cause they seem to be working fine.

cars feels very nice at 12psi regulated by my foot lol
i gotta recal both my boost controller and wideband, both of them are acting weird. got super lifter tick too, gotta do a couple oil changes.

im off to the track next time i get a chance [which might be next friday or friday after when all the supras are there for PACNW gathering.]

next up will be fuel pump and pressure plate after i have some fun (maybe next month or something) i just really miss driving this car and want to keep it on the road for a bit

build thread
my visit to pitroadm
Old 07-02-11, 09:05 PM   #40
1991MitsuGTOVR4

if you want a third opinion im happy to help. and you say im worse when it comes to stuff like that haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez604
so i got 2 buddys to ride behind me while we went out [2 seperate occasions] and watch for smoke.

one said there was tiny bit of smoke when varying rpm rapidly like when downshifting to do a pull but nothing during or after the pull. i went up and downhill with him behind me varying rpms gears and load.

the other said he didnt notice anything out of the ordinary puffs here and there. ive got no cats and injecting meth.

both these guys know what they are talking about.

so at this point i think im gonna run it till i get concrete proof they are messed to pull them out cause they seem to be working fine.

cars feels very nice at 12psi regulated by my foot lol
i gotta recal both my boost controller and wideband, both of them are acting weird. got super lifter tick too, gotta do a couple oil changes.

im off to the track next time i get a chance [which might be next friday or friday after when all the supras are there for PACNW gathering.]

next up will be fuel pump and pressure plate after i have some fun (maybe next month or something) i just really miss driving this car and want to keep it on the road for a bit
Old 07-03-11, 09:49 AM   #41
rez604

haha youll say ill need a new engine+dr1000's
sent you a pm

build thread
my visit to pitroadm
Old 07-09-11, 03:31 PM   #42
rez604

so the turbos seemed to have calmed down, not getting any blue smoke anymore and accidentally boosted to 18psi so i know they are fine now. im just surprised how quiet they are compared to 9b.

went to the track last night to try to tune a little bit but my boost controller would not work so i ran wastegate once and open wastegates rest of the night trying to regulate boost with throttle. that did not work at all, 40% throttle 6-15psi all over the place. did not even get one clean run in. gonna try to troubleshoot the controller next week, might just grab an mbc.

build thread
my visit to pitroadm
Old 07-09-11, 06:26 PM   #43
surreal

sounds promising.
are you still using the evc3? thought that you had it in and working prior to the turbo upgrade. seems strange that it would randomly quit on you.
Old 07-10-11, 10:26 AM   #44
rez604

i know right? i took a quick look over it yesterday and everything was correctly setup. ill have to dig deeper when im off again. still the same evc3 no changes.

build thread
my visit to pitroadm
Old 09-03-11, 02:36 PM   #45
rez604

since the last update, the boost controller is working again after messing with it. i dont know what its problem was. set at 14psi and its holding to redline. feels very nice so far, no more 9b drop off. learning lots about tuning. im pretty sure ive found the limit of the stock fuel pump as right around 5000 i go lean a bit and its causing knock. im using meth to compensate a little for this now until i get the supra pump in. not gonna up the boost anymore till then. still gotta put in my clutch too but i dont see any sign of slipping yet on the stocker.

ill see if i can get some exterior shots of the car this weekend just to show you guys the number of different changes its had since ive owned it. i must have changed the rear end like 3 or 4 times.

build thread
my visit to pitroadm