Canada 3/S Community  

Go Back   Canada 3/S Community > Main > 3000GT/Stealth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Trader Ratings Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-10, 04:24 PM   #1
surreal
Registered User
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: calgary
Posts: 1,177
Members of C3si; What have you been up to? (aka Share what you're working on thread)

ok so i mentioned to another member the other day that c3si needs build threads! people dont post much about their projects unfortunately, so i think this is the next best thing.

if you are doing something with your car, post up about it
whether its a repair, maintenance, or mod... lets hear about it. maybe youre having problems or maybe you have some tips for others; let us know. fun way to keep the board active and promote chatter too.

i love these types of threads because they are great motivation when you see everyone else getting things done. also a chance to ask questions, make suggestions, and get some ideas.

doesnt matter what youre doing. maybe its an oil change, a fresh coat of wax, the 60k, or maybe youre bolting on twin gt42 turbos and throwing a v10 into the hatch - doesnt matter. give us a one-liner update or give us a write-up; whatever ya want.

so lets hear what youre doing c3si! hopefully people participate and this thread doesnt just become me talking to myself about oil changes haha
__________________
Firestorm Red TT
Sable Black GTO

Last edited by surreal : 08-07-10 at 05:11 PM.
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 05:10 PM   #2
surreal
Registered User
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: calgary
Posts: 1,177
guess i will get us started...

ive had 3g/99 lifters sitting around for years but have never had the time/motivation to actually install them haha

the other day somebody (probably tim) got me thinking about them and convinced me to install them. since the engine was already out of the car, it seemed like now was the time to finally get them done.

so i dug up my new lifters and primed em up the night before. i used a long sewing needle (if youre planning to do your lifters, make sure you swipe the sewing kit from the next hotel you stay at haha) to compress the lifters and bleed out the air. i just used a light weight oil rather than diesel btw.
all primed and ready to go:


next day i threw the engine back onto the stand and popped off the valve covers. they required some less than gentle persuading from a rubber mallet before they wanted to come off though haha


the 60k was just done on this engine ~10k ago and i didnt want to redo the tbelt, so i decided to attempt this with the cams in. used 2 screwdrivers liberally wrapped in duct tape to push down the springs and pop off the rockers.

yeah, easier said than done haha. getting the first rocker and lifter out werent too bad, but putting the rocker back in was impossible! after fighting with it for 20+ minutes i was wondering if this whole thing was a bad idea.
the old hardware out:


eventually i managed to get the rocker back on. what a pita. of the next few rockers, a couple went smooth(ish) and a couple were rebellious. i would be lying if i told you there wasnt a gratuitous amount of swearing involved.

after one especially impossible rocker, i realized that it was late and decided to get some sleep. i came back the next day and gave it another go; to my surprise everything went smoothly and i was finished the front bank in no time.

once you get into the groove and find your method, theyre actually not bad at all. jumped to the rear head and did them 2 at a time (each side of the cam cap). the rear head probably only took about 30 minutes to finish up.

i found that i had the best luck just using one screwdriver to compress the spring and then held the rocker in place with my other hand. thumb on the lifter side of the rocker, and pinky wrapped around the cam (lobe straight up gave just enough room) and guiding the valve side of the rocker. the trick was just to compress the hell out of the spring to give yourself lots of room.

btw this is an oily job haha. trying to get leverage on a screwdriver and not touch the cam lobes, working in tiny spaces, and your hands/screwdrivers/everything is coated in oil. i had to re-wrap my screwdriver every couple lifters as the tape would start to wear away. have you ever tried using duct tape while youre covered in oil? its probably the most difficult part of this job haha.

anyway, although the first couple lifters suck while youre finding your method, the job itself isnt bad. i would recommend a large screwdriver to make compressing the springs as easy as possible. im pretty sure doing this with upgraded/dual springs would suck. a lot. but anyone that has replaced their springs would be crazy not to do the lifters at the same time anyway.

i also did this with the engine on a stand. i think doing it in the car would be much more challenging. all in all, not as difficult as i expected. if i had to do it again, i could probably get it done fairly quickly.

engine isnt running yet so i cant tell you if this was actually successful, but ill update when she is running.
__________________
Firestorm Red TT
Sable Black GTO

Last edited by surreal : 08-07-10 at 05:16 PM.
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 07:30 PM   #3
ChubbZ
Registered User
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 348
Haha that's badass Steve, I bet you can't wait to start your motor and not hear the noisy bastards anymore!
__________________
Medicaments de qualite www.viagrasansordonnancefr.com medecine francaise
ChubbZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 11:49 PM   #4
Brandon_00ca
Registered User
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 27
Great idea for a thread. You are right, we could all probably help each other out this way - get some ideas going.

2 years ago one of my injectors plugged at 14 psi boost and 6000 RPM - needless to say there was a big bang, lots of smoke and I could already see my wallet draining faster than I could keep it full. Long story short, I broke a chunk off cyl #1 piston above the ring land, and smashed up the cylinder head.

Right now the engine is in pieces. I have honed the cylinders in preparation for a minor rebuild (no damage to the cylinder wall), but in the process of honing, I dinged one of the crank shaft lobes and put a little groove in it. I have no plans to replace the crank, so I have cleaned it up and will hope for the best.

I am in the situation I'm sure most of you have been in. Spend $1500 for a set of heads, $750 for a set of pistons plus all the little stuff (gaskets, oil pump, and all the other things you should do when the engine is apart) or try to find a used piston and a set of heads in decent shape and just get the damn car back on the road.

Sometimes it's hard to justify spending $4000 on a car worth $8000, or try to spend $1200 and just make it run again.

So, I decided to spend the minimum (but still do a good job) and be able to drive the old girl again.

Believe it or not, I'm having a hard time trying to find someone to sell me a used piston, and an even harder time finding a decent set of used heads (was hoping someone was upgrading theirs and their old ones were in decent shape)

That being said, anyone reading this thread with some good ideas, or better yet, some used pistons or heads they would sell me would be appreciated!

Oh the horror of owning a twin turbo stealth......but if I had to do it again, I probably would!

Thanks guys!
Brandon_00ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 02:22 AM   #5
Need4Speed
Registered User
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 230
Over the past 2.5 months i've, Pulled the motor/tranny installed southbend stg 3 6 puck, 2 new lip seals, rear main seal, deleted all accesories (cruise, ac, power steering), installed 4 stri gauges, 550cc injectors, partial wire tuck, rear battery w/ cut-off switch for the track, aws delete, Converted my rack to manual, cleaned every part that came out (didn't paint), Installed Maft Pro, Solid motor mounts, de-rusted under stock battery (only primed), removed un-usable alarm system, removed turbo timer/old boost gauge, Made plexi glass single din 2x52mm gauge "pod"

only to leave myself trying to figure out how the stock wires run for the ignition cylinder to the starter so I can finish putting it back togeather!!!!!!

ah, haha oh well, i've had lots of fun doing it!! Just want to make at least one track night this year and times running out!!! Funny how "a couple things" turns into EVERYTHING!!!!
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 06:36 AM   #6
surreal
Registered User
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: calgary
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbZ
Haha that's badass Steve, I bet you can't wait to start your motor and not hear the noisy bastards anymore!
i cant wait to finally hear my motor even if it DOES have lifter tick hahah
hopefully this will get rid of it. my lifter tick wasnt toooo bad before, but hopefully ill never have to hear it again now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_00ca
Great idea for a thread. You are right, we could all probably help each other out this way - get some ideas going.

2 years ago one of my injectors plugged at 14 psi boost and 6000 RPM - needless to say there was a big bang, lots of smoke and I could already see my wallet draining faster than I could keep it full. Long story short, I broke a chunk off cyl #1 piston above the ring land, and smashed up the cylinder head.

Right now the engine is in pieces. I have honed the cylinders in preparation for a minor rebuild (no damage to the cylinder wall), but in the process of honing, I dinged one of the crank shaft lobes and put a little groove in it. I have no plans to replace the crank, so I have cleaned it up and will hope for the best.

I am in the situation I'm sure most of you have been in. Spend $1500 for a set of heads, $750 for a set of pistons plus all the little stuff (gaskets, oil pump, and all the other things you should do when the engine is apart) or try to find a used piston and a set of heads in decent shape and just get the damn car back on the road.

Sometimes it's hard to justify spending $4000 on a car worth $8000, or try to spend $1200 and just make it run again.

So, I decided to spend the minimum (but still do a good job) and be able to drive the old girl again.

Believe it or not, I'm having a hard time trying to find someone to sell me a used piston, and an even harder time finding a decent set of used heads (was hoping someone was upgrading theirs and their old ones were in decent shape)

That being said, anyone reading this thread with some good ideas, or better yet, some used pistons or heads they would sell me would be appreciated!

Oh the horror of owning a twin turbo stealth......but if I had to do it again, I probably would!

Thanks guys!
ouch that sucks man. were they stock injectors?
was the crank actually scored when it got bumped? if its bad enough it might be worth pulling and turning it.

at our last meet i think we determined that not a single car there had the original engine haha. there should be people out there with the parts you need. ive got a 'parts engine' myself but i wont have the time to tear it down till closer to the fall.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed
Over the past 2.5 months i've, Pulled the motor/tranny installed southbend stg 3 6 puck, 2 new lip seals, rear main seal, deleted all accesories (cruise, ac, power steering), installed 4 stri gauges, 550cc injectors, partial wire tuck, rear battery w/ cut-off switch for the track, aws delete, Converted my rack to manual, cleaned every part that came out (didn't paint), Installed Maft Pro, Solid motor mounts, de-rusted under stock battery (only primed), removed un-usable alarm system, removed turbo timer/old boost gauge, Made plexi glass single din 2x52mm gauge "pod"

only to leave myself trying to figure out how the stock wires run for the ignition cylinder to the starter so I can finish putting it back togeather!!!!!!

ah, haha oh well, i've had lots of fun doing it!! Just want to make at least one track night this year and times running out!!! Funny how "a couple things" turns into EVERYTHING!!!!
wow quite the project!
do you RR the car or are you taking it to the strip?

guess this isnt a DD eh? i wonder how the manual rack will feel in a big car like this? thats awesome though i like this project. any pics?
are you running 9bs?
gonna weigh it?
__________________
Firestorm Red TT
Sable Black GTO
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 07:05 AM   #7
surreal
Registered User
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: calgary
Posts: 1,177
alright got some more work done so i will keep updating as well

-grabbed some AN fittings and lines for oil feeds. i thought i was gonna have to build the lines myself, but earls actually has premade lines in various lengths so i will save myself a little time and can be sure they wont leak or anything as well. everything bolted up nicely.

-painted some exh stuff with heat coating. cant bake em on the engine, so i cured it with a blowtorch which seemed to work. hopefully it wont be flaking off after a week of driving but i have my doubts. was going to use fg wrap as well (have a bunch already for the other car), but decided that i didnt have the time. this is just a DD anyway.

-got some more stuff bolted up to the engine like exh manifolds etc and its almost as though the end will soon be within sight. still lots and lots of work to do though...

-got to work on the suspension. inner tierod is a pain to remove. had to buy a new (giant) wrench and there is an impossible to reach tabbed lock washer in there too. eventually made good progress.
ever get that feeling like something is missing? haha
__________________
Firestorm Red TT
Sable Black GTO
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 04:45 PM   #8
Need4Speed
Registered User
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal
i cant wait to finally hear my motor even if it DOES have lifter tick hahah
hopefully this will get rid of it. my lifter tick wasnt toooo bad before, but hopefully ill never have to hear it again now.



ouch that sucks man. were they stock injectors?
was the crank actually scored when it got bumped? if its bad enough it might be worth pulling and turning it.

at our last meet i think we determined that not a single car there had the original engine haha. there should be people out there with the parts you need. ive got a 'parts engine' myself but i wont have the time to tear it down till closer to the fall.



wow quite the project!
do you RR the car or are you taking it to the strip?

guess this isnt a DD eh? i wonder how the manual rack will feel in a big car like this? thats awesome though i like this project. any pics?
are you running 9bs?
gonna weigh it?


Ah forgot a couple things... I did an in tank dual feed (but only using one) with a walbro, Braided line to a fuel filter, an feed to front rail, aeromotive fpr (want to do dual feed in the future) Braided oil feed/returns coolant feed/return, 13T's, I'd like to get the weight down as much as possible, i'll weight it once i get it running.

And no it's not a dd, haha I want to start RR'ing it but i plan on taking it to the strip a fair amount as well. Steering rack is stock ratio so it should be pretty firm, but I welded the pinion shaft so it won't be near the effort that other conversions that don't take this extra step, as well as the added bonus of no dead center. I'll let you know how it is driving when I get the chance.... I can handle almost anything mechanical but once i dive in to the electrical watch out lol... hopefully I solve this starter issue soon because I really would like to take it out this year.
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 05:59 PM   #9
surreal
Registered User
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: calgary
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed
Ah forgot a couple things... I did an in tank dual feed (but only using one) with a walbro, Braided line to a fuel filter, an feed to front rail, aeromotive fpr (want to do dual feed in the future) Braided oil feed/returns coolant feed/return, 13T's, I'd like to get the weight down as much as possible, i'll weight it once i get it running.

And no it's not a dd, haha I want to start RR'ing it but i plan on taking it to the strip a fair amount as well. Steering rack is stock ratio so it should be pretty firm, but I welded the pinion shaft so it won't be near the effort that other conversions that don't take this extra step, as well as the added bonus of no dead center. I'll let you know how it is driving when I get the chance.... I can handle almost anything mechanical but once i dive in to the electrical watch out lol... hopefully I solve this starter issue soon because I really would like to take it out this year.
nice! love it.
im also trying to shed as much weight as possible in the stealth (no aws, abs, etc etc) as i hope to get more into RR and it will become a weekend and track car. youve got more balls than me though; i will be keeping ac and ps haha. guess no ps is just more incentive to lighten the car up!

sounds like this car should be a blast once you finish the tuck and get her started up. if we can get a dyno day together next month you should try to make the trip down to RD. id like to see this thing in person. sounds like a great project... please keep updating! any pics of the fuel setup?
__________________
Firestorm Red TT
Sable Black GTO

Last edited by surreal : 08-08-10 at 06:01 PM.
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 10:01 PM   #10
DAGE
Registered User
 
DAGE's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: (2)

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Timmins
Posts: 1,366
I'm in the process of installing an MSD DIS 4, I've had it for 3 yrs and the last time I tried installing it I fried my ECU so hopefully everything goes according to plan, here's what I'll be installing in the next month or so

13t's
rps clutch and fidanza flywheel
arc2
550cc inj.
rebuilt tranny
carrier bearings
some electrical piece that's supposed to turn on my rad fans
new 3" piping for my FMIC
meth injection (if I actually talk myself into it)
__________________
DAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 08:27 PM   #11
surreal
Registered User
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: calgary
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGE
I'm in the process of installing an MSD DIS 4, I've had it for 3 yrs and the last time I tried installing it I fried my ECU so hopefully everything goes according to plan, here's what I'll be installing in the next month or so

13t's
rps clutch and fidanza flywheel
arc2
550cc inj.
rebuilt tranny
carrier bearings
some electrical piece that's supposed to turn on my rad fans
new 3" piping for my FMIC
meth injection (if I actually talk myself into it)
decided on 13ts eh? looks like youll be busy...
i thought your fmic thread a while back was great. those are the types of threads i like to see! hopefully you can do something similar again!
__________________
Firestorm Red TT
Sable Black GTO
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 06:36 AM   #12
DAGE
Registered User
 
DAGE's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: (2)

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Timmins
Posts: 1,366
I came close to buying a used TD05 kit however I couldn't justify spending 2000$ on it and still needing some pieces so I figured I'll give the 13T's a try again
__________________
DAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 06:28 PM   #13
surreal
Registered User
 
surreal's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: calgary
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGE
I came close to buying a used TD05 kit however I couldn't justify spending 2000$ on it and still needing some pieces so I figured I'll give the 13T's a try again
13Ts sound like great turbos though
there is something to be said for a nice bolt-on setup. there is really no such thing as a plug n play td05 kit, unfortunately.
__________________
Firestorm Red TT
Sable Black GTO
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 09:41 PM   #14
95teetee
Registered User
 
95teetee's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: (1)

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Drumheller, Ab.
Posts: 385
just put some new rubber on the car:


new KDW's. It's not much but it's something lol.
__________________
95teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 12:58 AM   #15
ChubbZ
Registered User
 
Trader Rating: (0)

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 348
No fancy pics but installed the "Click Click Start Fix" and bypassed a fuel relay under the MAF, also cleaned up the starter from the previous engine and swapped it in since the car would not start. All the fuel upgrades(Supra pump, hotwire kit, fuel rail loop, and FPR kit) I ordered from 3sx arrived Tuesday.

Currently in order for the car to start:

-Fuel pump must be hotwired through the test port

-MAF cannot be plugged in

-(NEW!) Starter must be jumpered, even with the starter from the previous engine

Also Friday the car is being left at E-mmortal Customs to get a 4 wheel alignment, I'll see if they will align the rear properly and get back to you locals!


EDIT: Also every now and again the coolant temp will hit 230F and the coolant reservoir will be pissing coolant, another mystery!

Going to take out the meter and check for a wire grounding out on the MAF, tomorrow.
__________________
Medicaments de qualite www.viagrasansordonnancefr.com medecine francaise

Last edited by ChubbZ : 08-12-10 at 01:29 AM.
ChubbZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.5.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.